Welcome

Welcome to our "Circle of Friends."* This blog is written by the Head of West Chester Friends School and intended for members of the WCFS community and anyone interested in learning more about our school. Some posts include topics discussed at the monthly "Chat with Matt" parent coffees. Other posts share Teacher Matt's thoughts and observations as well as news and happenings from around the School. Happy reading!

(* From the song "Circle of Friends" by Roger Emerson)

Thursday, September 3, 2009

What's Your Favorite Book?

The Labor Day weekend is upon us and in just one short week the school yard -- which is quite empty and still today -- will be teeming with children as we begin yet another school year. I look forward to that happy day!

This fall's All-School Unit theme is "All About Books" (please see the May 4 post for the announcement). Two years ago our auction theme was related to books and faculty members' reflections on their favorite children's books were displayed around the room. My favorite is The Chronicles of Narnia series. I have a vivid memory of reading them as a child and of the images they invoked in my mind. I even named a stray cat Aslan. In the past year of so, my wife and I have enjoyed reading the books to our children at bedtime and seeing the stories acted out in their imaginative play.

What are your favorite books . . . either from your childhood or adulthood? I invite you to share your own reflections as a comment here on the blog. My hope is that this might spark conversations (virtual and face-to-face) among parents just as our children are exploring the world of books this fall and beyond.

I also want to pass along two interesting articles that I came across this summer related to the theme of books.
"What to Read Now. And Why." from Newsweek's June 27 issue, with books as the cover topic.
"Choosing Summer's Last Big Read," an editorial piece from the August 15 New York Times.

I hope your Labor Day weekend includes some time with books . . . either quietly on your own, or together with your children.

No comments: